About Kathryn S
The voice is an incredibly personal instrument, inseparable from our personality and our presence in the world. As a voice teacher, I want my students to have fun, move, play, experiment, and explore in a safe space of non-judgement. Discover your sound, discover what you'd like to say, discover your expressive potential!
My teaching practice draws on many sources including theatre, dance, improvisation, mindfulness and yoga - which basically means that I am not your average voice teacher! I will have us moving, laughing, and learning! If you are looking for greater presence, more confidence, and more freedom of spirit and voice, then I think we'll be a good match.
As the creator of the Embodied Voice, I adopt a holistic approach to training that recognizes and harnesses the connection of the body and the voice. I seek to ground my students in a deep, felt knowledge of their technique, so that they can truly understand and own their sound. As we open up to what the voice can teach us, we open up to self-knowledge.
What a lesson might look like
- If it's your first lesson, we'll have a quick chat about your prior experiences singing and studying voice. We'll discuss your goals for the term, and come up with a plan. I'll ask you to sing a few scales for me and then sing a bit of a song, so that I can get a grasp on where you are vocally.
- In a normal lesson, we may start with either a physical warmup, or we may do a Feldenkreis or Alexander Technique-inspired meditation, depending on how you're feeling that day.
- We'll begin to add breath, and to play with sounds in order to tune up our breathing support mechanisms, and adjust our air pressure.
- We'll turn to focus on a particular aspect of singing technique (tongue, jaw, neck, vowel shapes etc) and try out different instructions to see what we find and where you are at.
- If you would like to work on a song, we'll bring these elements into the piece, exploring how we can break down the song and re-build it up with flow, release, and power.
- Or we may explore character, line, melody, harmony, ear-training, through creating our own songs and exercises.
Classical, folk, pop, musical theatre, experimental
Specific Learning Elements
I am happy to tailor my sessions to your interests. For example:
- the speaking voice
- rhythmic improvisation
- extended vocal technique
- vocal anatomy
- and more...
Ages 15 and up
I am a cross-genre singer and performer, formally trained in classical singing at Guildhall School of Music and Drama (MMus, Fellowship), but with a wealth of prior experience working and performing in various contexts, including folk, cabaret and indie-pop. Currently, I mostly perform in cutting edge opera and music theatre involving improvisation, devising, immersive environments, singer-instrumentalist productions, and a cappella singing. Recent major productions include Undersong with Verity Standen, and Thousand Furs with Re:Sound Music Theatre (Kings Place).
As creator of the Embodied Voice, I lead workshops in voice and movement for Guildhall School of Music and Drama's drama department, as well as for Cyphers Theatre Company. I also teach singing technique privately and at City and Islington College. I have taught voice on and off for over 10 years. As a creative workshop leader, I have worked for the Barbican, BBC, and Aldeburgh Young Musicians, devising new music with young musicians, people with mental health issues, community groups and more.
I am Artistic Director of THAT! Ensemble, a company that creates new music in space using voice, movement, and improvisation and lastly, I am Founder of Curiosa, a company that produces intensive creative holidays and retreats, including two upcoming projects in Portugal in 2019.
Kathryn S offers online tuition
- We now offer online tuition, where you can learn from with the UK's leading music tutors, from the comfort of your own home.
- Our online tuition portal is the first such service to be optimised for music. With crystal clear audio and video, we'll help you get the most from online learning.
Get started today by sending a message to our tutor Kathryn S
How does it work?
1. Press Send message.
Send message with your details.
2. We will contact you.
The office and the tutor will contact you about the options available.
3. Arrange the first lesson.
The first lesson is arranged with the tutor.
By only working with quality, professional music tutors, we can guarantee the highest standard of music education.
All our tutors have the highest level of background check in place and subscribe to a strict code of conduct, making your music lessons as safe as possible.
Have your music lesson at the same time every week or create your own schedule based on your availability.