By only working with quality, professional music tutors, we can guarantee the highest standard of music education.
About Lucy R.
Lucy is as well-educated, inspirational Vocal Coach who aims to develop a culture of learning and high aspiration in her pupils. She began her musical training at the age of 9 and since has achieved Grade 8 in both Piano and Vocals as well as Grade 5 theory and a BMus with Honors in Popular Music from the Royal Northern College of Music.
Lucy has experience in teaching one to one and group sessions as well as experience working with SEN students in primary and secondary schools. As a music teacher, she has excellent subject knowledge, a good sense of humour and a strong desire to allow her students to develop to their fullest potential. As well as providing a solid foundation in technique, Lucy’s lessons teach you how to express yourself through music in an encouraging and non–judgmental environment.
Teaching in Singing
Lucy teaches vocals from beginners to advanced students of all ages. Lessons are tailored specifically to a student’s needs but can include:
- Warm up and vocal health
- Breathing exercises and understanding the connection between the body and the voice
- Vocal technique, performance, tone, intonation, rhythm and improvisation
- Applying music theory to repertoire
- Creating a listening library, analysing other performers and their technique
- Live performance coaching, working on stage presence, confidence and microphone awareness.
- Studying a variety of genres
Teaching in Piano
Lucy teaches piano for beginners to intermediates of all ages. Piano lessons include:
- Warming up with scales and arpeggios
- Notation, sight- reading and theory
- Learning pieces that the student enjoys
- Rhythmic exercises
- Music expression and performance
- Guidance for practice
- Listening to different pianists in different genres and exploring the sounds of the piano
Teaching in Music Theory
Lucy teaches beginners to intermediate students from age 7 and up. Music theory lessons include:
- Flash notes to encourage quicker note recognition
- Applying theory knowledge to pieces we are studying
- Combining theory and aural skills by listening to intervals, scales, chords, time signatures and keys
- Mock papers and Mock tests
- Understanding of Music History
Lucy teaches (almost) all genres, but specialises in Pop Music
The first lessons begin with a brief chat with the student about what they want to achieve from these lessons and then she will run the lesson accordingly. It is very important that the students feel comfortable and at ease in order for the best learning to happen! A beginners lesson would include the essential basic knowledge of the instrument they are studying as well as warm up and cool down exercises.
Beginners of all ages and learning abilities are most welcome to learn with Lucy. For the first lesson you will need to bring your instrument and a can-do attitude! Lucy believes that anyone can learn music and her teaching methods have a proven track record of unlocking students’ potential.