By only working with quality, professional music tutors, we can guarantee the highest standard of music education.
About Johnny R
Johnny is an enthusiastic piano teacher with 8 years experience in music education and working as a professional musician. Since graduating Leeds College of Music in 2010, Johnny has had experience teaching piano individually and in groups to students of all ages, all abilities and a range of styles. As a professional musician he most recently received a nomination for the BASCA British Composer Award 2018 and has had original projects featured on BBC Radio 2, 3, & 6 as well as touring throughout Europe at major festivals. His professional experience combined with his educational experience gives him a unique insight into how to learn, create and perform music, whatever the style. Johnny is also able to teach music theory and composition.
Teaching in piano
Johnny teaches piano for beginners and advanced students of all ages.
Lessons with Johnny can include:
- Basic piano techniques
- Note and rhythm exercises
- Scales, aural training and sight reading exercises
- Examining Board repertoire including ABRSM Classical/Jazz, Trinity & Rock School
- Approaches to practicing
- Music Theory
- Learning your favourite songs
- Jazz piano and improvisation
- Jazz harmony and chord voicings
- Jazz composition and songwriting
Teaching in Composition
Johnny teaches Composition for beginners of all ages specialising in jazz and popular music.
These lessons include:
- Studying harmony and chord voicings.
- Studying scores and transcriptions.
- Learning different stylistic compositional techniques
- Arranging for small or large ensembles
- Learning through writing your own original music
Johnny teaches classical, jazz, blues, rock and pop.
In the first lesson, Johnny will discuss with the student their musical interests and what their own goals are for learning. After this initial discussion the lesson will be crafted with the student’s interests and goals in mind. Johnny can bring a selection of music to try out but please feel free to suggest pieces you particularly enjoy and want to learn to play.
For beginners and children, you may be expected to buy some educational materials for the lessons. Johnny will provide song sheets and piano exercises but if you are looking to do grades you may be expected to buy the materials needed for the lessons.
Please feel free to write Johnny a message if you are interested in signing up for lessons or have any questions.